Idea Board for Mauve Italian Gamurra
It all started when a fellow SCAdian posted several Italian gamurra photos that were idea’s for her. I fell in love with the look of one of these right away.
This gown is absolutely gorgeous. I loved the contrast between the bodice that appears to be velvet and the skirt that appears to be silk. I loved the center piece of a contrasting fabric. I loved the complex sleeves that mirrored the different fabrics in the dress.
I realized this was a perfect use of the mauve cotton velvet I had purchased at Estrella 2017. I had two pieces and together they were not large enough for a complete garment. This would be a perfect project for it.
I started trying to locate a suitable center fabric. After several samples came and were dismissed, the same person that posted the original idea suggested a wide trim. I started looking at trim and found a lovely 4 inch wide, vintage, brown sari border on Etsy.
I also needed to find a silk for the skirt. I looked through the various swatches from Silk Baron that I had and ordered a few others with yardage I bought for a different project and settled on a silk dupioni called Rosewood that is a luscious dark peach-and-black color.
I also needed some trim to offset the sari border. I purchased velvet ribbon in two colors (one in two sizes). I got a narrow (9mm) and wider (22mm) brown velvet ribbon and a narrow light brown velvet ribbon.
With the supplies purchased, it was time to draft the pattern. The bodice is a sidelacing bodice. My previous gamurra have all been front lacing. I spent an afternoon drafting a new pattern and cutting a sample from an old bedsheet to try on. the bodice is nice a snug and should offer good support to the girls. It may be a bit more difficult to get into compared to the previous front lacing bodices I have made.
The skirt I plan to do a long rectangle that is gathered to give it shape. This will make trim application significantly simpler